November 7, 2010

The First Fifty Days

I should have started with this. The idea developed as I went along, though. Having a song each day for my twenty-fifth year was not something I thought about long, but it's now something I've committed to. As I began transferring the info to this blog, the fifty-first day has just begun. As such, I should recap what's already happened...or it will never make it into a blog!

Birthday Song: Bowling For Soup ~ 1985 Love it!
My song for the day!!! Make anybody else feel "retro"?

Day One: Zager & Evans ~ In the Year 2525 The Song For This Year...

Day Two: Coco Love Alcorn ~ Intellectual Boys From the girl who brought you the song about the bicycle... I love Coco! So sad I missed her in Edmonton last spring.

Day Three: Hawksley Workman ~ Jealous of Your Cigarette
first song of the day...I <3 Mr. Hawksley Workman! Jeremy Fisher ~ Fall For Anything I'm so tired of ignoring the universe... It's time for me to stand for myself above all else.

Day Four: Danny Michel & the Camp Town Racers ~ Sweet Things This will be the best trip ever - saw Danny Michel first thing off the plane!!! So stoked! Already been a fabulous night! Thanks, ladies!

Day Five: Michael Buble ~ Haven't Met You Yet
I've had this song running through my head for the last few days. Love it! Love Mr. Buble! True Canadian Talent...

Day Six: Will.I.Am ~ I Like To Move It
I like to move it, move it! I like to move it! And dancing to this first thing in the morning is the best!

Day Eight: Hannah Georgas ~ Thick Skin
I've been trying to post a music video for every day of my 25th year. I missed yesterday, so here is the most appropriate song for it. I just wish it had a happier ending, because the day did.
Ridley Bent ~ Pastures of Heaven
Very cute song! Always reminds me of Main Street and struggling artists. Love it!

Day Nine: Spirit of the West - Home For a Rest
Blarney Stone Tonight!

Day Ten: Regina Spektor ~ Laughing With
I've recently stumbled upon Regina Spektor again. I love her...this is one of my new favourite songs!

Day Eleven: Chantel Kreviazuk ~ Feels Like Home
I've had this song playing in the back of my head all weekend. Leaving one home tor another today. Bittersweet end to my holidays, but definitely one of the best holidays I've ever had! Not Kreviazuk's video, but I <3 the Notebook too! Day Twelve: Dolly Parton ~ 9 to 5
Thanks for the inspiration with your status, Chelsea! Best song to listen to before going back to work... I<3 Dolly...always! Day Thirteen: Mike Roste ~ Wait Away
I actually wanted to post "Little Miss Sunshine" by Michael Amirault today, but it's not on YouTube. This one is pretty sweet song in itself!

Day Fourteen: R.E.M. ~ Shiny Happy People
You should learn at least one new thing each day. This is why I love cbc. Today they aught me about civil unrest, fear, the gov't trying to cover it all up, and REM's artistic expression of this oppression. Thank you art! Where would our society be without the freedom to listen to this song first thing in the morning?

Day Fifteen: Jeremy Fisher ~ Fall For Anything
Happy World Vegetarian Day!
This came on my shuffle yesterday, and I had one of those maazing experiences that happens when I listen to my personal favourites in public. The rest of the world disappeared for four and a half minutes, and I escaped into my own thoughts. This years marks seven years of vegetarian living for me...and every year, I stand just a little bit stronger for what I believe in...

Day Sixteen: Moulin Rouge (Nicole Kidman & Ewan McGregor) ~ Your Song
Very sweet song... The beginning is a bit off-taste but it makes the song that much sweeter. The two spectrums of wooing - lust vs. love... Plus, Exan McGregor is so darn charmin'! :-D

Day Seventeen: Miranda Lambert ~ Kerosene
This was the workout song of choice today. I do not always love country, so I though I should probably go with this one while I'm in the right mood for it. Not my fav of hers (House That Built Me), but today, I'm feeling Miss Miranda Lambert...

Day Eighteen: Scouting For Girls ~ She's So Lovely
You know those days on the bus, when you're listening to your iPod, tapping your toe to the beat and really just wanna be a part of a flash dance to whatever song is playing into your ears...well, this song came on as soon as I stepped off the moving dance floor...and I couldn't help but breaking out into my own little dance party in the imPark parking lot by my apartment. :-D I hope you find your own dance party.

Day Nineteen: Sarah Harmer ~ Captive
My greatest love of art stems from its ability to inspire us. Can you guess who inspired Miss Harmer in this song? I immediately felt it was a cover, and continued to believe this until seeing her perform it live, when she explained that they only inspired this song. If you love music, take a listen and tell me your guess. If you already love music, or Sarah Harmer, you probably already know who inspired this punk-beat love song. :-D

Day Twenty: Primitive Radio Gods ~ Standing Outside a Phone Booth...
I love the melancholy of this song. Sometimes you just need a melancholic song, and this is, if not the top on, at least in the top ten melancholic songs. I'm normally a positive person, but I enjoy a good cry now and then too...

Day Twenty-One: Johnny Reid ~ Today I'm Gonna Try to Change the World
I love the sentiment, but had it been me writing the song, there would be no try. Because, well, there is no try. There is do or do not. and every day we do change the world, whether we know it or not. Let this song make you mindful of how that works.

Day Twenty-Two: Corb Lund ~ Long Gone to Saskatchewan
"Everybody loves Saskatchewan, it's like your little brother."
Long gone to SK myself today...sure to hear this somewhere along the way ;-)

Day Twenty-Three: John Lennon ~ Imagine
If we're going to take just one day to remember this man, it should be today.
My fav Lennon song...need I say more?

Day Twenty-Four: Feist ~ 1234
Such a colourful video!
Can I be thankful for technocolour?
Hannah Georgas ~ The Beat Stuff
I'm thankful for good friends, good family, good music, and finding my home wherever I go. :-D

Day Twenty-Five: Brad Paisley ~ Welcome to the Future
Ok...another country tune. But it's good!
First heard this song yesterday - sorry to those country fans out there for not hearing it earlier. For those who don't follow country, you should listen to Paisley. He has a lot to say in his songs, generally amusing, and not too bad to look at either. :-)

Day Twenty-Six: Hannah Georgas ~ Lovesick I love Hannah!!!!
Little over two hours and I'll be singing along to this LIVE...I loves it!
No video, but the brilliance of the song makes up for that. :-D Just crank your speakers and enjoy...

Day Twenty-Seven: Royal Wood ~ On Top Of Your Love
If ever given the chance, you must see this man live! This song captures his energy well, but nothing beats a live show!!!
Meaghan Smith ~ If You Asked Me
I love the serendipity of finding new music ... although I'm pretty sure I've heard Meaghan Smith before. This is how the serendipity of this new discovery happened: A year and a hlaf ago, I went to Jeremy Fisher, and heard Hannah Georgas. I went to see Hannah, and I fell for Royal Wood. I began watching videos mixes of Royal, and came across Meaghan Smith. Then, I found this tune...and it's just too good not to share with you tonight, rather than waiting for tomorrow's song...

Day Twenty-Eight: Kate Nash ~ Pumpkin Soup
There's a reason this is the first song on my running playlist. first song of hers that I fell in love with, and regardless of my mood, I still always love her...
HoneyHoney ~ Thursday Night
This is a funny song! Love it!
One more for randomly stumbling upon new artists!!!
And one more for today...it's only appropriate for Thursday Night ;-)

Day Twenty-Nine: Deadeye Dick ~ New Age Girl
She don't eat meat...
I loved this song before I discovered vegetarianism...and today I'm spreading the discovery! With ten minutes left, I found a song for day 29...

Day Thirty: Coco Love Alcorn ~ I Got a Bicycle
Good video, but not the music video :-( I still likes it!

Day Thirty-One: Corrinne Bailey Rae ~ Put Your Records On
This song makes me wish it was raining, so I could pour a bath and enjoy my melancholy...my favourite "jazzy" song!
Sadly, it is sunny, crisp and I have to enjoy the lovely autmun day :-D

Day Thirty-Two: Feist ~ Brandy Alexander
I love this tune. So sweet!

Day Thirty-Three: Erin McKeown ~ Slung-Lo
:-D or not :-D
Whatever...it's all part of life...

Day Thirty-Four: Mason Jennings ~ Jackson Square & Forgiveness
Thank you to everybody who wore pruple today! It's a good cause - the first real cause I won a battle over! sometimes you don't have to do a lot to make a difference. In my case, it was a simple question posed to an influential figure. Whether you wore purple today of not, remember that it doesn't matter the size of your action, as long as it matches your convictions.
Also, I love Mason Jennings! This is definitely the first song of his I should post...but why has it taken me 34 days to post it? Well, I don't know everything...

Day Thirty-Five: Rammstein ~ Du Hast
In elementary school, the only box that wasn't ticked was always "works well with others." Today, I felt like that; and embraced the emotion of today: ANGER. As much as I tried to hand on to it, it quickly turned into giddyness, which only furthers this week's lesson of embracing all of my emotions - negative and positive. Still, I wanted to commemoratre the anger with a song. The only "angry" songs in my cd collection are Alanis Morisette, which didn't feel appropriate. Instead, here is the angriest band I love to hateL Rammstein. Reminds me of the receiving room in good ol' 789 :-)

Day Thirty-Six: Dido ~ Life For Rent
Moving on is always difficult, but if it's to take ownership of your life, who can really blame you?
A week and a day left. Some melancholy is appropriate. :-D

Day Thirty-Seven: Panic! At the Disco ~ Behind the Sea Sweet song. Interesting version of it, too.

Day Thirty-Eight: Scouting For Girls ~ Keep On Walking
When I first heard SFG, I loved them! Then, as I listened to them too much, I found them WAY too "pop"py and cringed just a bit whenever I heard the beginning of one of their songs on my iPod. I skip over half of my sogns, anyways...but I missed skipping this song today. Not bad, not bad...def not as "pop"py as their other songs. Kinda reminds me of the reason I first loved them. I don't know if I could handle the airplane song just yet though...
Jack Johnson ~ Angel
Such a sweet song. Leslie posted it earlier...I stole it from her! ;-)
Day 38's second song. I'm gonna have over 400 this year rather than 365!

Day Thirty-Nine: Sara Barielles ~ Fairytale
It's a sara barielles day...

Day Forty: Queen & David Bowie ~ Under Pressure
Perfect song for this week...
Every time I hear the Intro, my heartbeat perks up...my feet start tapping...and I can't help but sing along! :-)

Day Forty-One: Jeremy Fisher ~ Remind Me
Today is a Jeremy Fisher day! :-D
Actually, last night was, but I'll let it carry forward. :-)
The acoustic version misses part of the bridge that made me fall in love with Mr. Fisher all over again...but hsi acoustic voice makes up for it. The album version - with its moving crescendos, etc. - made me wish I had studied music appreciation rather than German. At least considering the path my life is on right now ;-) ah well, there is always time...
Jeremy Fisher ~ Let It Shine
Not only can he play, but he's a funny man too! ;-)

Day Forty-Two: Noah and the Whale ~ 5 Years Time
One of the few vids that does not disappoint the song! Love the vid, have loved the song for months...now they're together forever! ;-)
this is a prettyupbeat song about our failure to know what lays before us. i like it. I'm embracing that feeling. The world is full of so many different scenarios...time to make my own!
The Ramones ~ I Wanna Be Sedated
There are days when I am sedated by work...tomorrow should be the last day ;-)
I'm numb. I like numb. I've gone through enough emotions this month, that's enough. Let's just let this pass and hope next month is less tumultuous...here's hoping for smooth rides over bumps and lolls...

Day Forty-Three: Natasha Bedingfield ~ Pocketful of Sunshine
It's a Sunshine Day...

Day Forty-Four: Christina Aguilera ~ Fighter
Every year, every month, every week, I find myself breaking through one more coccoon. Each time, it gets easier; so I guess that each time, it has made me that much stronger... So, here's to the next butterfly I have become!

Day Forty-Five: Bon Jovi ~ It's My Life
I woke up to Bon Jovi this morning...but I think this is a better song than the one that was playing in my head. Here's to carpe diem...as scary as it is somedays...

Day Forty-Six: Yael Naim ~ New Soul
J'aime cette chanteuse. Et j'aime mis amies meilleux pourquois la vie est tres dificile mais elles n'est pas! A mis amies meilleux!

Day Forty-Seven: Clumsy Lovers ~ Stand Up
Another power ballad :-)
I love happy tunes...and I love random bands, I love it even more when their happy tunes are available to share in this format :-D
This time last year I remember talking with a coworker about adventures. I remember confiding in him my fears that I had no more adventures left in me. He looked at me, shook his head an, in disbelief, said, "Jodi, you're 24. You have so many adventures ahead of you!" :-D

Day Forty-Eight: Tegan and Sara ~ Wake Up Exhausted
For your listening pleasure. Sorry, no video.

Day Forty-Nine: Gary Jules ~ Something Else
They never tell you there is strength in vulnerability...they only tell you not to cry...
And other valuable lessons.

Day Fifty: Matt Costa ~ Yellow Taxi
Even if you know all along, it's still nice to be reminded that the people you need the most are and always have been there - they just give you time to figure it out on your own. :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment