March 7, 2011

DJ Weekly ~ So So Vegan

YouTube describes this video as "a satirical music video by DJ Weekly about Vegan Hipsters that infest our major cities around the country."



When I became a vegetarian, we called people who did it as a fad "yuppies." Those were the people who would eat chickens, "'cause they're not really meat." And fish was a staple, too. I tried to let people know that I was a "true vegetarian," because the only flesh I ate came from a tree.

Now, the term we have for the imposters of any fad these days is "hipsters." It's an interesting word and I'd like to know its origins one day. Probably, like "yuppies," it came from their tendency to flock to what was "hip," just as "yuppies" followed the rest of their school.

I think there's something about human nature that makes us all want to fit in. If people choose a more compassionate lifestyle in an attempt to "fit in," I think that's awesome! Also, it's much better than choosing drugs, alcohol, or another unhealthy activity to fit in. Bring it on!

Also, today I had a discussion about the "vegan police," as mentioned in Scott Pilgrim. I have yet to see that movie, so I can't comment fully on how they convey our "cult," as I jokingly call it, to the world. One of my colleagues, though, commented on it in a recent presentation on becoming a vegan. She assured the audience that we are not "Vegan Police," and will accept you regardless of whether you drink milk or not.

I just ask for your honesty if you're cooking my supper...and acceptance back if I don't care to join you in your dairy-infested "vegan" meal! We can all define ourselves however we want...and I'll love you for however long it takes you to join me in my opinion... ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment