January 15, 2011

Day 121: Mumford & Sons ~ White Blank Page



Can we ever escape our memories?

Last night, I watched Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, for probably the tenth time. It's a very real story about a daughter coming to understand her mother as a real person, and not just the role she played in her life. In order to love somebody, truly, we have to understand them on that level, whether we are loving a parent, a sibling, a friend or, the more conventional "lover"...

I thought about that all last night, and this morning. Perhaps I've never been "in love," but I have loved. Perhaps I'm just a girl in love with love, but aren't we all... Haven't we all fallen quickly, and loved too soon, only to have our hearts ripped open and exposed...

Yesterday morning, my heart broke. Don't worry, not the real one ;-) My white heart necklace - that I had only fixed up Thursday afternoon! - fell from my neck while I was working. I attempted, quickly, to fix it, but to no avail. There is no quick fix for a broken heart...

My love for Mumford & Sons is as real as my love for any past lovers! My heart swooned upon the first listen, my desire grew with each new song I heard, and before I even knew where they were from, I was proclaiming them my latest favourites! It was only last night that I realized how I could love them so quickly. They remind me of my last great adventure, London in the late 00's... Perhaps because they began in West London's folk scene around that time as well. Or perhaps because they sing about the emotions I was going through at exactly that time...

To be fair, I probably love them because they're rising in popularity these days (everybody loves to feel just a little mainstream...every once in a while, at least)! ;-D How many Grammy noms did they get this year? Two? There'll be more to come, for sure. And, well, they deserve everything they get! Their lyrics are literary, their music forces your body to sway, and the emotion they evoke flows from their souls to the souls of their listeners... THIS is what music is about!

No comments:

Post a Comment