January 9, 2011

Stars - Your Ex-Lover Is Dead



Ah, Stars...

This video comes recommended from a friend who enjoyed my post on Sara Barielles yesterday. Like Barielles, Stars is one of those sleeper artists that you will randomly fall in love with. Um, but I have to admit something: I did not like Stars when I first heard them ... several years ago.

This song was their first song I knew as theirs. You know those songs you recognize in the first bar. Well, as this song begins with an attention-grabbing voice at the beginning, it was not very difficult to recognize it even before the first bar! It's come in and out of my favour several times since its release, but I think it's in my favour to stay now. Stars has also become one of my all-time favs!

It's interesting how a song can be both a memory and inspiration. When I hear this song, I am taken back to my time spent in Vancouver, the initial Edumusication summer and educators. This time, though, when I listened to it, I heard something else. The opening bar struck me as inspiring: "When there's nothing left to burn, you have to set yourself on fire." Well, since this recommendation has come from a friend after reading yesterday's post, and several of my other posts over the last few months, my subconscious seemed to know that there was this not-so-hidden message in this song...

And now, for some personal reflection:

At times, this week, I've felt like I'm back EXACTLY where I started. But, ... I'm not. Situations may be similar; pay cheques may be the same; but this time is an entirely different level! So, perhaps I lack the opportunity I have so desperately relied upon in the past...and perhaps I've let that opportunity slip by me, but the most important thing that's keeping me alive - creative and ambitious - is knowing that I am my fuel, especially when all else fails...

I apologize if my self reflection is too vague. Perhaps its vagueness will help you on the path to your truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment